Hello, December! Can you believe it’s that time of year again already?
The festive season is no doubt one of the busiest times of the year! As we look forward to celebrating Christmas with our friends and family, it’s also important to keep this holiday season claim-free.
Here are some quick tips on how you can avoid them:
1. Is your Christmas tree a real one? If so, you will need to be extra careful about open flames. If there are lit candles, there is potential for the tree to ignite. You may think having home and contents insurance is good enough to keep you and your assets protected, but we don’t think anyone wants to have a house on fire during Christmas time!
2. The festive season won’t be completed without a delectable roast turkey. Whether it’s lunch or dinner you’re making and inviting your loved ones over, always take extra precaution when stirring, sautéing, and simmering. The moment you get distracted, you can easily forget about the gravy that’s still cooking on the stove. Ensure your fire extinguisher is within your reach in the event your oven or stovetop catches a fire.
3. Take a moment to make sure all candles are blown out before leaving your home. While it’s beautiful to have your home decorated with colourful and sparkly Christmas decorations, ensure that they are several feet away from heat sources like fireplaces and radiators.
4. You may think it’s a good idea to leave your Christmas lights turned on in the dark while you head to bed. However, prevention is always better than cure. Safety comes first – so, be sure to unplug those holiday lights!
5. Be aware of burglary. There’s no harm leaving a light on when you’re not home. Even if you’re at home, be watchful of your surroundings by locking your doors and shutting the windows. You may also want to hide your expensive gifts in a safe and secure area within your home instead of just leaving them in the living room.
While we’re celebrating the season of joy and happiness, always remain vigilant. To learn how you can protect your home and personal belongings with adequate cover, take the time to speak to any of our professional brokers today. You’ll be glad you did.
P: 1800 809 132
*Please note all insurance policies have exclusions. Please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement or Policy Wording before deciding whether the insurance policy meets your needs.